30) Tureman Building
One of the earliest established and longest running businesses in Carlisle was Tureman Drug Store. Joseph F. Tureman established his store in the very early days of Carlisle in 1817.
This building which housed the business for many years was built in 1880. The handsome wooden cabinets, built to hold the stock, are still visible today.
Thomas P. Tureman took over the business after his father's death, also serving for many years as mayor of Carlisle. He, in turn, was succeeded by his son, J. Coburn Tureman, described at his death in 1936 as "affable, courteous, and a gentleman in every respect."
George Gaffin then took over the business. During the late 1930's and 1940's it was a wonderfully old fashioned drug store with a soda fountain and little wire chairs. During the summer the store provided the then rather unusual pleasure of air conditioning. Sodie Shrout followed George Gaffin in management of Tureman's. The building has had many uses since then.