John Kincart, who was born in 1791 in what became Nicholas County, inherited a 200 acre farm from his father, Samuel, in 1813. In 1816 he provided 50 acres, including the family's peach orchard, to establish the City of Carlisle. Streets and lots were laid off around the center of the plot, with Kincart accepting lots as payment for his land. The monument to his father can be seen on the north side of the present county courhouse, the third of three courthouses on the site.
Kincart and his wife, Isabelle, had six children who grew uptogether with the expanding town. Kincart died in 1868, as did Isabelle, and was buried in the cemetery where the Shiloh Presbyterian Church once stood on Whetstone Road.